1. What does “Design-Build” mean? Design-build refers to a home which is designed and built by the same company. The streamlined process provides an efficient workflow from start to finish. By working together, the designer and builder usually deliver a better project than imagined.
2. Does it cost more to build a true custom home? The answer depends on the choices you make for your home. A production builder may choose products or finishes that are less expensive to keep their price competitive. If you were to choose the same quality and finishes that Acadian Homes uses your home could very well be in the same price range.
3. Is there an average price per square foot on your homes? You’ve probably heard the expression, “Not all square footage is created equal,” and this is true. Home pricing is based on many things, including square footage, interior and exterior finishes and features, the type of architectural style, number of floors and so on. Another factor to keep in mind is the quality and variety of finishes included in your home. All of this impacts the price per square foot. We work with each of our homebuyers individually to build the best home possible that falls within their budget while delivering a home that goes beyond their expectations.
4. Can I save money by building on my own? The answer is complicated. Most people will not see the savings they are hoping for when building on their own. There are many steps to take including pulling permits, scheduling inspections with the city or county, have insurance, maintain excellent financial records, monitor subcontractor’s work to ensure it is quality and up to today’s strict building codes, pay subcontractors the going rate, submit draw requests to the bank, prevent property liens and more. Will you save money? You may, but it’s not guaranteed. What is certain, you will spend lots of precious time not only watching your build to monitor its progress but without a background in new home construction, also learning the ins and outs of building to ensure your home will withstand the test of time. Also, your lender may not be open to financing a self-built home, as a matter of fact, many banks deny lending on a first-time self-built home.
5. What if I don’t have a home plan yet? Don’t worry, we can help! Bring your ideas and sit with our New Home Sales Specialist to share what you are looking for and we will create a plan that suits your needs. You can also search online for plans and bring them to us to build.
6. When should I start building? As a rule, every month the price of materials and land increase. It is important to understand the effect waiting has on how far your budget will go. In some areas based on supply and demand, the cost can be much higher. This may influence your decision on building now vs. starting later.
7. What kind of timeline is the process? Acadian Homes has streamlined our process to ensure our quality homes are built promptly. The overall timeline is based on many factors, including the size of the house and the amount of customization. After speaking with the builder, you will have a better idea of build time.
8. What information should I consider before buying land to build on? Before buying the property, here are a few details you should have:
9. How do we make design selections for our new home? We have created a Design Showroom with finishes to select from including lighting, flooring, brick, cabinets, countertops and more. Our New Home Sales Specialist will work with you to design a home with timeless finishes built to last.
10. If building material costs increase after we sign our construction agreement, how will this affect my home price? Once we agree on your total investment and sign your contract, your price is locked in.
11. Which is more expensive to build, a one-story or two-story home? Two-story homes are typically more cost-effective since you can add square footage without increasing the size of the foundation or footprint.
12. Do you work with REALTORS and Real Estate Agents? Absolutely. If you have a real estate agent helping you find a home and they bring you to us or recommend us, we are happy to thank them and pay them their professional fee (at no cost to you). If a REALTOR has sent you our way, please tell them we said “thank you” and be sure to let our New Home Sales Specialist know when you visit our model.
We hope this has helped answer any questions you may have. If you have another question, please feel free to contact us. Thank you.